This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #minustheshell #CollectiveBias
This easy make ahead breakfast is perfect for feeding a crowd. It’s rich and hearty with fall apples, savory chicken sausage and sharp cheddar cheese. This breakfast bread pudding is sure to become a holiday favorite. You’re going to love it!
I love bread pudding, don’t you? In fact, when I travel to a new city, I always research which restaurant has the best bread pudding. Austin’s County Line, Houston’s Brennan’s, Lola’s and Golden Nugget in Vegas, and the list goes on.
But on a recent trip to New Orleans, I came across a savory version of bread pudding and it changed my whole bread pudding perspective. This breakfast bread pudding was made with spicy sausage and sharp yellow cheddar. And it was DELICIOUS. When I returned home, I knew I wanted to recreate it and make it my own.
My Version of This Delicious Make Ahead Breakfast
So off I went to my beloved Walmart to get everything I needed. Since my husband has both high cholesterol and blood pressure, I decided to use chicken sausage in this recipe rather than the traditional pork sausage. Additionally, I found some gorgeous fresh gala apples and white cheddar to mix in. The chicken sausage pairs delightfully well with sweet apple and sharp cheddar.
Egg Beaters® Original are so convenient and versatile! Hover and click to purchase for your next recipe.
Since I am watching my weight, I decided to use Egg Beaters® Original instead of eggs. I love the versatility of Egg Beaters, which worked perfectly for the creamy custard in this recipe! Egg Beaters are made with all-natural egg whites and have 1/2 the calories of eggs. It's a great option if you love eggs but want to cut back on calories. Plus, the new packaging makes it so easy to pour and there's no cleanup required!
This wholesome breakfast includes fresh in-season ingredients. Sage, parsley and sweet onion add additional savory flavors and marry perfectly with the chicken sausage. And a rustic loaf of french bread adds just the right amount of texture. The sausages will have to be removed from the casings. The best way to accomplish this is to cut the casings with kitchen shears and peel them away from the meat.
How To Make Savory Apple, Chicken Sausage and Cheddar Bread Pudding
The prep is simple:
- Chop and dice the apples, onion and herbs
- Shred the cheddar cheese
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes
Next, remove sausage from casings, crumble and brown in skillet. Set browned sausage aside and use the same skillet to brown onion.
Then, combine the bread, sausage, onions, apples, cheddar, fresh sage and fresh parsley in a large bowl. Transfer to a buttered baking dish.
Now, make the creamy custard by whisking together the Egg Beaters, salt, pepper and half-and-half. Pour the custard over the bread mixture in baking dish.
Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours but preferably overnight. When you’re ready to serve, bake in a 350-degree oven for about an hour until puffed and golden on top.
Serve warm and enjoy a stress-free morning!
Savory Apple, Chicken Sausage and Cheddar Bread Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups Egg Beaters equivalent to 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 french bread loaf
- 1 lb chicken sausage, casings removed
- 2 apples peeled, cored and diced I used Gala but Granny Smith would be delicious too
- 1 lb sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- Grease a large baking dish with 1 tbsp butter.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring with a wooden spoon to break the meat into small clumps, until browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a large mixing bowl, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onions to the pan along with 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook the onions, stirring constantly, until soft and lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes.
- Add the onions to the mixing bowl with the sausage, along with the bread cubes, grated cheese, apples, parsley and sage.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Egg Beaters, half-and-half, salt and pepper.
- Pour the Egg Beaters mixture evenly over the bread mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least a few hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for approximately one hour, uncovered, until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately.
You May Also Like