It was time for a HydraFacial! The other day I foolhardily took a look in the mirror. You know, THE mirror. The one that puts a spotlight on your face like you are old-timey Hollywood Starlet and has the magnification that rivals the Hubble Telescope. Yep, that one.
Eek! The reflection staring back at me was alarming. Not only was I in desperate need of an eyebrow wax (hello caterpillars above my eyes) but also after a long holiday season of indulgences and enduring this moisture-zapping winter, my skin looked weary, dull and dry. It REALLY needed some TLC. I’ve wanted to try a HydraFacial and decided now was definitely the time.
What is a HydraFacial
HydraFacial is a non-invasive experience that uses a unique Vortex-Fusion® serum delivery system. The multi-step treatment cleanses, exfoliates and extracts to remove impurities and dead skin cells while at the same time replenishing vital nutrients including antioxidants, peptides and Hyaluronic Acid.
The treatment claims to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, congested and enlarged pores, oily or acne-prone skin, hyperpigmentation and brown spots. As well as, renew and hydrate dull dry skin.
- Dull & dry skin, check.
- Fine lines & wrinkles, check.
- Hyperpigmentation and brown spots, check.
I was most curious about HydraFacials improving hyperpigmentation. I have struggled with a patch of melasma on my forehead for the past three years (a gift I developed during my last pregnancy). I’ve used several different products to lighten it but it’s work in progress.
What to Expect During Your HydraFacial Experience
I booked my HydraFacial at OrangeTwist in Fort Worth. Their price for a standard HydraFacial is $200. There are a variety of customizations tailored to your specific skin concerns that can escalate the price to $250. I decided to go with the standard HydraFacial for my first time out of the gate.
- The treatment starts off with The special vortex tool streams a special serum and vacuums simultaneously to gently remove the outermost layer of skin and dead skin cells. The serum contains a combination of lactic and glycolic acid to aid the exfoliation process.
- The next step was the peel. The system infuses your skin with another serum comprising of salicylic and glycolic acid, which helps loosen deeper dirt and sebum from the pores.
- The dreaded extraction was next. Normally, for me, the extraction part can ruin what was otherwise a relaxing soothing facial. But not this time! The extractions were painless. Once again, the special tool (with a different attachment) simultaneously vacuums and infiltrates with a serum to do the heavy lifting.
- The last step is the lovely infusion of peptides, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to plump up your skin and protect it from free radical damage. My specialist also used LED lights to facilitate the absorption of what I call “the awesome sauce” and help build the collagen. Last but not least, a SPF 50 sunscreen was applied.
The whole process took about 35 minutes and I had absolutely no downtime (some people can experience redness for a few hours afterward). I was advised to not use my retinols or serums containing acids for the next two days, but otherwise, I was free to use my other products.
My HydraFacial Before and After Photos
I’m not exaggerating when I say my skin was radiant after my treatment. This photo to proves it. Goodbye dry dull winter skin. My skin glowed like I was twenty-something again. My complexion was clear and I swear I had fewer fine lines.
Unfortunately, my melasma was still prominent on my forehead but this did not surprise me. I know at some point I need to fork out the moola for an IPL facial. But in the meantime, HydraFacial does offer special add-ons to help combat dark spots and hyperpigmentation, so perhaps I’ll give it a go next time.
I loved the end result! And the results last. It’s now two days post facial and I am still glowing.
As a matter of fact, I loved my facial so much, that I took advantage of OrangeTwist’s Citrus Club. For $150 a month, I receive a HydraFacial and %10 off any other services they offer. Plus, I will receive complimentary Botox after six months. My New Year’s resolution was focusing on self-care and I now I am off to a great start.