There is a fruit that takes me back to my childhood; to backyard pool parties, summer barbecues and Fourth of July celebrations. All synonymous with watermelon of course!
Memories of hot Texas summer days spent with sticky watermelon hands and juicy pink drippings sliding down my chin make me crave watermelon instantly.
Luckily, Saturday was National Watermelon Day and our local grocery store was practically giving away that sweet ripe fruit. So we stocked up and ate watermelon all weekend.
And to celebrate that holiday honoring a summer staple, I couldn’t help but whip up a super simple recipe for a favorite summer spirit — a refreshing Sparkling Watermelon Cocktail. This yummy drink is made with fresh juicy summer watermelon and strawberries, Prosecco (of course) and mint.
This Sparkling Watermelon Cocktail is like summer in a glass. Plus, it’s so easy to blend up for parties, pool side cocktails or a summer barbecue!
Sparkling Watermelon Cocktail
- Pint of strawberries
- Elderflower liqueur
- Fresh sprigs of mint
- Cut, peel, and cube watermelon.
- Dice six strawberries.
- Add 16 oz of watermelon, the diced strawberries and 4 oz of elderflower liqueur to blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour through fine sieve into container to reserve the juice.
- Divide juice among 4 chilled glasses and add 1 cubed watermelon piece to each glass.
- Top with Prosecco SLOWLY (it will foam up).
- Finish with a full sprig of mint as a garnish.
Toast to National Watermelon Day!
Looking for more cocktail recipes? You’re welcome!